Course No: 16683
2 units for each of Preliminary and HSC
Board Developed Course
Exclusions: Food Technology
The Stage 6 Food Technology Life Skills course provides opportunities for students to develop food products and solutions as well as enhance practical skills through the care and safe handling of equipment and food preparation.
Study of the Stage 6 Food Technology Life Skills course should contribute to students’ understanding of research, design, systems and environments, as well as their ability to manipulate and produce products.
Main Topics Covered
The structure of the Food Technology Life Skills course allows teachers to provide a broad and balanced program that reflects the needs of individual students within the context of the collaborative curriculum planning process. Students may study selected outcomes and content within the course.
Study of the Food Technology Life Skills course involves:
- knowledge and understanding of a design process
- knowledge and skills of a range of technologies for a variety of purposes in the production of a design project
- properties and characteristics of food
- the nature of food, nutrition and the relationship of food to health
- selection and use of food, equipment and techniques to produce a variety of food items
- appreciation of the role of food in society
Particular Course Requirements
On entering students for the Food Technology Life Skills course, the principal is certifying that the student is eligible and the decision is the result of the collaborative curriculum planning process.
Students are assessed in relation to the selected Food Technology Life Skills outcomes and content. Students may achieve Life Skills outcomes independently or with support. Demonstration of achievement of outcomes is recorded on the Profile of Student Achievement.